Pensioners' Incomes Series
DWP Tabulation Tool
The DWP are now releasing many of their National Statistics via a Tabulation Tool that allows the user to define their own bespoke analyses.
Click this link DWP Tabulation Tool to begin.
Revision to 2008/09 and 2009/10 results
This note outlines the revision to results for 2008-09 and 2009-10 to improve the methodology for direct taxes in Northern Ireland and to adjust for new tenure information from the Department for Communities and Local Government.
The links below include the latest in a series and some earlier reports. Reports not listed can be obtained from the contact point given in the individual Adobe Acrobat documents.
Latest edition (published 12 July 2012)
- Latest PI
- PI Usage Results
- Previous editions
- PI Methodology
- NS Quality Review
- Other methodology links
- Next Edition
Pensioners' Incomes Series 2010/11
The National Statistics First Release contains a digest of key results taken from the Pensioners' Incomes Series 2010-11 published 12 July 2012.
The Pensioners' Incomes Series 2010/11 is the latest full edition of the annual Pensioners' Incomes (PI) Series. It contains estimates and interpretation of trends in the levels and sources of pensioners' incomes, based on two household surveys. Information on the latest year (and the eleven preceding years) is based on the Family Resources Survey (FRS), while historical trends are examined using the Family Expenditure Survey (FES).
Pensioners' Incomes series Publication (PI) Usage Survey: Results
The Pensioners' Income series team undertook a analysis of publication use in March 2012 to capture data about the users of our publication with the aim of ensuring that the report continues to meet their needs. This is a summary of the analysis.
If you have any feedback on the PI Series please complete this form and return:
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has completed its review of the access arrangements it requires for the sensitive versions of the Family Resources Survey (FRS), Households Below Average Income (HBAI) and Pensioners' Incomes (PI) data previously released under the Special Licence. DWP has concluded that a higher level of security is required for them to continue making these data available.
Potential users of these data will only be able to access them via the UK Data Service’s safe room at the UK Data Archive. Details of the application process are available at Secure Data Service - Special conditions for DWP datasets.
This decision reflects DWP-specific requirements, which are based in part on legislation affecting DWP alone; this is why other organisations are able to release data of similar sensitivity by Special Licence while DWP cannot.
DWP regrets the inconvenience this will place on the user community but without arrangements that meet this higher standard DWP could not give access to data of this sensitivity. However, these additional security requirements have enabled the inclusion of a number of additional variables which were previously not included and will increase the value and scope of the research which these data can support.
We wish to reassure users that DWP and the UK Data Service are working closely to improve access and are discussing options for transferring the data into the UK Data Service’s secure remote access system as soon as is practicable within the legal framework to which DWP data is subject.
Earlier Special Licence versions of these data will be available through the same secure access mechanisms.
- The Pensioners Incomes Series 2009/10
- The Pensioners Incomes Series 2008/09
- The Pensioners Incomes Series 2007/08
- The Pensioners Incomes Series 2006/07
- The Pensioners Incomes Series 2005/06 (Revised)
- The Pensioners Incomes Series 2004/05
- The Pensioners Incomes Series 2003/04
- The Pensioners Incomes Series 2002/03
- The Pensioners Incomes Series 2001/02
- The Pensioners Incomes Series 2000/01
- Technical Annex 2000/01
- Pensioners' Incomes Series 1999/00
- Technical Annex 1999/00
- Pensioners' Incomes Series 1998/99
- Pensioners' Incomes Series 1997/98
PI Methodological papers
- No 1: Occupational Pension Receipt (1999)
- No 2: Negative incomes (1999)
- No 3: Personal pension incomes (2000)
- No 4: Personal pension incomes - update (2001)
- No 5: Publication policy for estimates subject to sampling error (2001)
- No 7: Definition of pensioner units (2001)
- No 8: Income from annuities (2001)
- No 9: Personal pensions income - 2nd update (2001)
- No 10: Use of in-year deflation (2001)
National Statistics Quality Review
The National Statistics Quality Review of Households Below Average Income and Pensioners' Income series was published on 27 February 2004.
Other methodological papers (links to other sites)
- Consultation on 'Comparisons over time for low income statistics' (2000)
- Comparisons of income data between the Family Expenditure Survey and the Family Resources Survey (1999)
We are always looking to improve the content and presentation of the Pensioners' Incomes Series. If you have any comments on the publication or on any of the PI methodological papers, please send them to us at the following address: Pensionersfirstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to be notified when the next edition of PI is published, or when any new methodological paper is made available, please contact us. Full contact details are available in the latest edition of the Pensioners' Incomes Series.
Please specify whether you would like to be notified of new.
- Pensioners' Incomes Series
- Methodological papers, or